As epiphanies go, this one isn't terribly exciting. I'm not running naked down the street screaming "eureka!"or anything, (much to the relief of my neighbours, I'm sure) but it's only taken me 5 days of Edmonds cooking to realise something that should have been obvious:
The reason I do ok at baking, but not so well at cooking, is that when I'm baking, I always use a recipe. Even when I'm messing about inventing my own muffin flavours, I still use a basic recipe as a guide. But when I cook, I very often just throw stuff into a pot or frypan and hope for the best.
When I cook with a recipe, it usually comes out quite well (This excepting standard Robyn behaviour like dropping eggs on the carpet or accidentally unplugging the crockpot). My make-it-up-as-I-go-along meals are usually full of promise in the cooking, but disappointing in the eating.
That's not to say there aren't meals that come out ok: everyone has their old standbys they could do in their sleep. It's when I get creative that it all turns to custard (No, not literally - even I would have trouble doing that). So I figure that I just don't have enough food knowledge to play it by ear. Yet.
Luckily I have a whole cookbook full of recipes ahead of me. With any luck, by the time I've finished, I'll have picked up a few tips and have a better idea of what I'm doing. And if not, at least I'll be in the habit of following a recipe!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
There's a recipe in the 'breakfasts' chapter for Creamoata (p155). I hadn't given much thought to this, but I had a vague id...
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
I decided to ease myself into this challenge by starting with one familiar recipe and one totally unfamiliar one. For the unfamiliar rec...
-
I used to bake a lot as a kid. Since then, my parents' carefully-instilled lessons to do with checking you have all ingredients before ...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
Green peppercorns: I'd never heard of them before coming across the Edmonds recipe for green peppercorn sauce (p186). Things like this a...
-
As we all know, Sunday was Mothers' Day: another opportunity to make an Edmonds recipe. This time I selected continental apple cake (p47...
-
I had been wondering when I'd ever get around to making duck with orange (p140), the one duck recipe in the Edmonds book. The only ducks...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
The basic biscuit recipe (p35) has, aside from the main recipe, five variations. I've so far tried only the the lemon biscuit variation,...
No comments:
Post a Comment