Tuna sauce (p103) on pasta. It wasn't the most spectacular meal I've ever had, but it was on the table in 10 minutes - and costs less than $10 for the ingredients. And, while it wasn't mind-blowingly delicious, there was nothing wrong with it. Sometimes that's all you want.
In fact, since I made a half recipe, and still had some of Mum's home-grown peppers, it cost me only $3.80 - and it'll feed me for more than one meal. This is an excellent recipe for halving, since the full recipe requires 2 cans of tuna and a 250g pottle of sour cream. A single can of tuna and a 125g pottle of sour cream make a half mix without any mental arithmetic or egg-splitting.
Basically you fry up some chopped onion, bung in your sour cream and tuna, heat it through, then stir in the chopped peppers. Season, and serve over pasta. Dead easy.
So if your priorities are "quick and cheap", try this tuna sauce. Make sure you season it well, or you run the risk of blandness. It might also be worthwhile experimenting with flavoured tuna or different veges.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
There's a recipe in the 'breakfasts' chapter for Creamoata (p155). I hadn't given much thought to this, but I had a vague id...
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
I decided to ease myself into this challenge by starting with one familiar recipe and one totally unfamiliar one. For the unfamiliar rec...
-
I used to bake a lot as a kid. Since then, my parents' carefully-instilled lessons to do with checking you have all ingredients before ...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
I had been wondering when I'd ever get around to making duck with orange (p140), the one duck recipe in the Edmonds book. The only ducks...
-
Green peppercorns: I'd never heard of them before coming across the Edmonds recipe for green peppercorn sauce (p186). Things like this a...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
As we all know, Sunday was Mothers' Day: another opportunity to make an Edmonds recipe. This time I selected continental apple cake (p47...
-
I've never had much luck with banana cakes. They always seem to come out overcooked on top and gooey in the centre. Yet I still make one...


No comments:
Post a Comment