Sunday, April 25, 2010

ANZAC snack


I'd happily eat ANZAC biscuits (p34) any day of the year, but if there's one day that it's particularly appropriate to make them, it's today.


There's so much to like about these biscuits. Not only do they taste great - crunchy outside, chewy centre.. overall just very tasty and dangerously moreish - but they're also very cheap, quick and easy to make.


It took me about 5 minutes to get them in the oven. Flour, sugar, coconut and rolled oats in a bowl, then add the liquids: butter and golden syrup melted together, and mixed with baking soda dissolived in hot water. Roll the dough into balls, place on a tray and squish slightly. 10-15 minutes later, you've got ANZAC biscuits.


I deliberately undercooked mine slightly, because I like them chewy. My second tray was cooked a bit longer, and the biscuits were crunchier. While they're still good, I like them less than the chewy ones. This, of course, is merely a matter of personal taste.


Got 20 minutes up your sleeve and some rolled oats in the cupboard? Go on, make some ANZAC bikkies - you know you want to.




1 comment:

  1. I have never been able to make as many biscuits as the recipe suggests for these, as I like mine a good size - double the recipe to make about 22 biscuits, instead of a single making 20 :) I agree, they are divine!

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts this week