I'd intended to do some baking after work yesterday, but while perusing the Pak N Save vege section on my way home, I noticed some cauliflower and decided that cauliflower cheese (p159) would be a more suitable selection for a chilly, drizzly winter evening.
I don't recall ever making cauliflower cheese before. If I thought about it at all, I pictured a shallow dish of cauliflower florets covered in cheese sauce. So it was a bit surprising when I checked the recipe and realised you actually cook the entire head of cauliflower whole.
I trimmed the cauliflower and got it into a saucepan full of water. While that was boiling away, I made the cheese sauce, stirring flour into melted butter, then gradually adding milk. When I had a reasonably thick white sauce, I removed it from the heat and added grated cheese, salt and pepper, and mustard powder.
The cauliflower and sauce were ready at about the same time. I drained the cauli, transferred it into a casserole dish and poured the sauce over. Then, a final sprinkle of cheese and into the oven.
My cauliflower cheese came out appealingly golden, and the full head had softened enough to break easily into pieces as I served it up. I'd chosen quite a small cauliflower, so there was more than enough of that yummy cheesy sauce.
I don't particularly dislike cauliflower, but I don't love it either: it can be a bit bland and tasteless. Well, here's one way of giving it a bit of extra flavour!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
I'm not usually obliged to come into work on a Saturday, but post-quake, routine has temporarily gone out the window: stock was moving...
-
I'm sure you've been wondering what I plan to do with all that baking. The thing is, every year I do a lot of baking and take trays ...
-
I haven't made an entry for a while. Initially this neglect was due to the four hectic but hilarious days I spent in Picton, celebratin...
-
There's only one chapter in the Edmonds book I hadn't yet ventured into: 'Desserts with Edmonds'. As you know, I don't h...
-
Did you know that there's a whole chapter in your Edmonds book dedicated to recipes based on Rice Risotto? Well, that's overstating ...
-
After experiencing the weirdly cakey result of last week's attempt at 'quick quiche', I was curious to see what the basic quiche...
-
The basic biscuit recipe (p35) has, aside from the main recipe, five variations. I've so far tried only the the lemon biscuit variation,...
-
I had been wondering when I'd ever get around to making duck with orange (p140), the one duck recipe in the Edmonds book. The only ducks...


No comments:
Post a Comment