I went down to Rakaia on Friday night to join Bex for a girly DVD evening. She'd asked me to bring some nibbles to share, so I turned to my trusty Edmonds book for ideas. I'm running a bit short on suitable recipes for this sort of thing, but eventually I landed on chocolate bubble cakes (p46)
If you don't recognise the name, I've always known them as chocolate crackles - the rice-bubble and Kremelta-based mainstay of childhood birthday parties.
Melting the Kremelta and mixing in cocoa, rice bubbles and coconut only takes a few minutes. From there, all you have to do is spoon the bubble mixture into paper cases. I decided to do mine bite-sized, since a full-sized one might be a bit too sickly for an adult palate. This meant the standard recipe made several dozen crunchy little choc-crackle bites.
It was surprising how much we all enjoyed something I'd thought of as a kiddie's treat. The six of us did the best we could to demolish them during our movie night, but I still returned home with the bowl about half-full. I guess I'll see if the workmates will clean up the remainder for me tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
I'm not usually obliged to come into work on a Saturday, but post-quake, routine has temporarily gone out the window: stock was moving...
-
There's only one chapter in the Edmonds book I hadn't yet ventured into: 'Desserts with Edmonds'. As you know, I don't h...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
It's still raining. And in this horrible weather I haven't felt like doing anything except curling up with a book and a Milo. I bri...
-
Did you know that there's a whole chapter in your Edmonds book dedicated to recipes based on Rice Risotto? Well, that's overstating ...
-
I haven't made an entry for a while. Initially this neglect was due to the four hectic but hilarious days I spent in Picton, celebratin...
-
I'm sure you've been wondering what I plan to do with all that baking. The thing is, every year I do a lot of baking and take trays ...
-
The basic biscuit recipe (p35) has, aside from the main recipe, five variations. I've so far tried only the the lemon biscuit variation,...


they were just perfect thank you very much
ReplyDeleteFunny how kids stuff comes back and we usually enjoy them just as much.c
ReplyDelete