You'll have noticed that I haven't been very conscientious in pursuing my Edmonds Challenge over the past few weeks. Ever since I shifted into my new house, there haven't been enough hours in the day to get everything done. I expect this will settle down somewhat once I've finally got everything unpacked and organised to my satisfaction, so just bear with me in the meantime.
It was actually several days ago that I found spare half hour to make some sultana biscuits (p35), but I've been so busy since, that this is the first chance I've had to write it up. Well, perhaps I might have found the time, but my current computer setup is a low deck chair in front of an old coffee table. It's quite uncomfortable, so the idea of sitting here long enough to write a blog entry is not terribly appealing. 'Computer desk' is quite high on my list of required furniture.
Sultana biscuits are a variation of the basic biscuit recipe. It's very easy - the biscuits are made with the same old 'cream butter and sugar; beat in eggs then add dry ingredients' method. All you do is add sultanas into the creamed mixture.
For some variations of the basic biscuits, I've recommended rolling the dough and using a cookie cutter, but this isn't really going to work for sultana biscuits. For these, I went with what it actually says in the recipe, i.e. roll into balls and press with a floured fork.
The recipe has a cooking time of 12 minutes. I checked mine after 10, and they were already golden-brown - in fact, a little overdone. I put the next tray in for 9 minutes, and turned the heat down slightly. These came out only slightly golden, which is what I was looking for.
This recipe tastes pretty much as you would expect: it's a pleasant sweet biscuit with sultanas in it. It's not fancy, but it's easy to make, doesn't take very long, and is comprised of ingredients you'd likely already have in the pantry. In my book, that adds up to a pretty good recipe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
There's a recipe in the 'breakfasts' chapter for Creamoata (p155). I hadn't given much thought to this, but I had a vague id...
-
I haven't made an entry for a while. Initially this neglect was due to the four hectic but hilarious days I spent in Picton, celebratin...
-
I'm sure you've been wondering what I plan to do with all that baking. The thing is, every year I do a lot of baking and take trays ...
-
There's only one chapter in the Edmonds book I hadn't yet ventured into: 'Desserts with Edmonds'. As you know, I don't h...
-
The basic biscuit recipe (p35) has, aside from the main recipe, five variations. I've so far tried only the the lemon biscuit variation,...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
After another week of slacking around, it's time to get back into the Edmonds book again. There wasn't a particular recipe I wanted ...
-
I've been keeping a spreadsheet with details of my progress through the Edmonds book. The point is to keep an eye on which areas I'm...



No comments:
Post a Comment