I had a barbecue to go to on New Year's Eve, so I had to think of something Edmonds to bring. There really aren't any recipes left in the meat or poultry sections that would be suitable for a barbecue, so I decided it would be a good chance to tick off one of the marinades.
So I went to the supermarket in search of meat to marinade, and ended up bringing home a large pack of chicken nibbles: the marinade I'd selected was Chinese marinade (p190), a honey/soy type of thing that I thought would go quite well with the chicken.
An hour or two before heading away to the barbecue, I combined sherry, honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in a ziplock bag (it says to use a bowl in the recipe, but I find a bag is easier and less messy) added the chicken nibbles and closed the bag up, moving the contents around until all the chicken nibbles were coated with marinade.
The best thing about bringing meat to someone else's barbecue is that you seldom have to cook it yourself. Nick took charge of the barbie, and, on top of cooking all the rest of the meat beautifully, did an excellent job of getting my nibbles to the point of golden, sticky deliciousness.
Naturally, the barbecue cooking had a lot to do with making the nibbles so tasty - you can't duplicate that flavour in an oven - but the marinade seemed to have done the job quite well too. The soy and ginger flavour was there, but not overpowering. I think this is a good one to use on chicken, especially if you're going to barbecue it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
I'm not usually obliged to come into work on a Saturday, but post-quake, routine has temporarily gone out the window: stock was moving...
-
There's only one chapter in the Edmonds book I hadn't yet ventured into: 'Desserts with Edmonds'. As you know, I don't h...
-
It's still raining. And in this horrible weather I haven't felt like doing anything except curling up with a book and a Milo. I bri...
-
Did you know that there's a whole chapter in your Edmonds book dedicated to recipes based on Rice Risotto? Well, that's overstating ...
-
I haven't made an entry for a while. Initially this neglect was due to the four hectic but hilarious days I spent in Picton, celebratin...
-
The basic biscuit recipe (p35) has, aside from the main recipe, five variations. I've so far tried only the the lemon biscuit variation,...
-
I'm sure you've been wondering what I plan to do with all that baking. The thing is, every year I do a lot of baking and take trays ...
-
After experiencing the weirdly cakey result of last week's attempt at 'quick quiche', I was curious to see what the basic quiche...


No comments:
Post a Comment