The trouble with buying cream for a sponge cake is that even if you get the smallest bottle available, you're only going to use half of it. Because of this, I found myself flicking through my Edmonds book, scanning ingredient lists for cream. Eventually, I found an uncompleted recipe that would help me use up my cream: tarragon chicken (p143).
I don't think I had ever consciously eaten tarragon before, so I was quite keen to find out what it tasted like. But first I had to assemble the other main ingredients: chicken breast, onion, white wine and chicken stock.
You begin by cooking onion and garlic in a pan. When the onion is cooked through, you stir through a small amount of flour, then add the wine and stock. When this mixture has been brought to the boil, add tarragon (fresh or dried - I used dried) and the chicken breasts. Then, just stick a lid on it and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
I was surprised to find that the chicken had cooked through in a mere 15 minutes. I'd been expecting to increase the cooking time by another 10 minutes at least. I didn't need to, however - I just set the chicken aside while I finished off the sauce, adding cream and egg yolk (since I was making a half-recipe, I had to try to scoop half a yolk into the pan) along with some seasoning. Chicken on the plate; sauce on the chicken; add veges: dinner's ready!
It turns out that tarragon is not a completely unfamiliar flavour - I've definitely had it before, just not in anything I've cooked. But it tastes good: tarragon chicken is savoury, creamy and really quite a nice meal. I personally would prefer to cook the chicken in smaller, more manageable pieces: a whole breast is quite a lot for one person to get through, and with such a large piece, you're more conscious of the slightly dry texture of the chicken breast.
When you see a recipe with ingredients like cream and wine, you might be tempted to think "nah, that's a bit flash for me". But it's really quite easy to make, and it's a tasty meal. If you've got a little cream and/or wine that needs using, why not give it a try?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
I'm not usually obliged to come into work on a Saturday, but post-quake, routine has temporarily gone out the window: stock was moving...
-
It's still raining. And in this horrible weather I haven't felt like doing anything except curling up with a book and a Milo. I bri...
-
Did you know that there's a whole chapter in your Edmonds book dedicated to recipes based on Rice Risotto? Well, that's overstating ...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
I haven't made an entry for a while. Initially this neglect was due to the four hectic but hilarious days I spent in Picton, celebratin...
-
There's only one chapter in the Edmonds book I hadn't yet ventured into: 'Desserts with Edmonds'. As you know, I don't h...
-
I'm sure you've been wondering what I plan to do with all that baking. The thing is, every year I do a lot of baking and take trays ...
-
I had been wondering when I'd ever get around to making duck with orange (p140), the one duck recipe in the Edmonds book. The only ducks...



Looks good! I like simple but good dishes like that. I think I'll give it a go when we FINALLY get our oven delivered.
ReplyDeleteHey, think how many things you can make when you have a proper oven, instead of a crazy Japanese convection oven thing. Pavlova anyone?
ReplyDelete