I'm not sure why I decided to make rock cakes (p52) for my morning teas this week. I guess it was just the first recipe I saw that looked interesting. Rock cakes are basically just plain buns with currants and mixed peel in them. That might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sounded pretty good to me!
It was a fairly quick recipe to whip up, too - just rub butter into flour, add sugar and fruit, then stir through beaten egg and a little milk. I think I used a little too much milk, because my mixture was just a bit wetter than it should have been. Oh well.
The next thing is to blob lumps of the rock cake mixture onto a tray. According to the recipe, there should be enough for 15 'rocky heaps', but I barely got 12, and those weren't particularly large. Maybe they're supposed to be really small rocks. Anyway, the tray went into the oven for just over 10 minutes, and, a mere 20 minutes after first pulling out a mixing bowl, I had a nice tray of rock cakes.
I'd always assumed from the name that rock cakes would be hard and crunchy (hence the old "take your pick" joke) but actually they were lovely and soft. Quite plain, but the currants and occasional chunk of peel save them from being too boring.
I don't think they're going to keep very well though - even at morning tea today my rock cake was a little drier than the one I had last night. Still, they'll do me for morning teas for a couple more days at least - if they get too dry, I can always give each one a little zap in the microwave before eating it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
There's a recipe in the 'breakfasts' chapter for Creamoata (p155). I hadn't given much thought to this, but I had a vague id...
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
I decided to ease myself into this challenge by starting with one familiar recipe and one totally unfamiliar one. For the unfamiliar rec...
-
I used to bake a lot as a kid. Since then, my parents' carefully-instilled lessons to do with checking you have all ingredients before ...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
I had been wondering when I'd ever get around to making duck with orange (p140), the one duck recipe in the Edmonds book. The only ducks...
-
Green peppercorns: I'd never heard of them before coming across the Edmonds recipe for green peppercorn sauce (p186). Things like this a...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
As we all know, Sunday was Mothers' Day: another opportunity to make an Edmonds recipe. This time I selected continental apple cake (p47...
-
I've never had much luck with banana cakes. They always seem to come out overcooked on top and gooey in the centre. Yet I still make one...





No comments:
Post a Comment