Faced with a chunk of ham that needed using, I went digging through my Edmonds book for a recipe. There aren't many ham recipes, really: I only had 2 to choose from. In the end I decided on spaghetti carbonara (p102) as quicker and easier than my other option, pizza.
It was a remarkably quick to throw together - just fry up some onion with chunks of ham (the recipe actually calls for chopped ham steaks), and throw in mushrooms. While that's cooking, mix an egg yolk into some sour cream. Add this to the pan, heat slightly, and the sauce is ready. Just add pasta and dinner's done.
Strictly speaking, it's not a proper carbonara - sour cream and ham steaks? Not exactly the traditional Italian version! The alternate name given for this recipe is ham and mushroom sauce: a more accurate description, really.
This kiwified version of spaghetti carbonara is cheaper and easier to make than an authentic Italian one. And it tastes pretty good, really: a creamy sauce, with big chunks of ham and mushroom - what's not to like? So if you're a fan of creamy pastas, this is a good one to keep in mind, especially if you need a meal in a hurry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
There's a recipe in the 'breakfasts' chapter for Creamoata (p155). I hadn't given much thought to this, but I had a vague id...
-
I haven't made an entry for a while. Initially this neglect was due to the four hectic but hilarious days I spent in Picton, celebratin...
-
I'm sure you've been wondering what I plan to do with all that baking. The thing is, every year I do a lot of baking and take trays ...
-
There's only one chapter in the Edmonds book I hadn't yet ventured into: 'Desserts with Edmonds'. As you know, I don't h...
-
The basic biscuit recipe (p35) has, aside from the main recipe, five variations. I've so far tried only the the lemon biscuit variation,...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
After another week of slacking around, it's time to get back into the Edmonds book again. There wasn't a particular recipe I wanted ...
-
I've been keeping a spreadsheet with details of my progress through the Edmonds book. The point is to keep an eye on which areas I'm...



I love this version and it's so simple but I love the taste have made it loads of times! Our very ancient edmonds book is stuck together on this very recipe and I hadn't made it in a long time that's how I found this 😀
ReplyDelete