Monday, August 13, 2012

Simple scones

I knew Mum and Dad would be popping by mid-morning on Saturday - excuse enough to make a batch of sultana scones (p32) don't you think?




This is yet another variation on the plain scone recipe, (in fact, I think the plain one is the only variation I haven't done yet) only you add sultanas to the flour. The recipe is very basic - just rub  butter (or in my case, canola spread) into sifted flour and baking powder. Stir through the sultanas, then add enough milk to mix to a firm dough. I'd noted next to this recipe to try half milk, half water (a tip from my Great-Aunt) and though I think I've tried it at least once before, I thought I'd to it that way again.


It took about five minutes to get the dough mixed up, shaped into scones and into the oven. Another ten minutes later, they came out baked through and looking pretty good.




I was quite pleased with the result, as I usually have difficulties with fruit scones, even though I've used the same recipe for years to make perfectly good cheese scones. Perhaps it's just date scones I have trouble with, because these ones were alright.


Scones are so quick and easy to make, and you've just about always got the ingredients on hand. Who doesn't love a good scone? Go on: get out your Edmonds book and make a batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts this week