I was in need of vege to eat with some leftovers I was having for dinner. I had a head of broccoli in the fridge, so why not broccoli with almonds (p158)?
First, I cut the broccoli into florets and put on to boil in salted water. On the next element, I had some sliced almonds toasting in a dry frypan. Next, I prepared the dressing, melting butter and adding lemon juice, salt and pepper. The recipe says to do this in a saucepan, but I just used a jug in the microwave.
When the broccoli was cooked, I drained it and placed the florets in a serving dish. I added the almonds to the butter mixture and poured it over the broccoli.
Let's face it: pouring butter all over your veges is not the best idea, nutritionally speaking. It's a pity, then, that it's so incredibly tasty! I never would have expected that the addition of a bit of butter, lemon and almond would make such a difference. There was far more broccoli than I would generally eat in one serving, but I ate it all quite easily.
This is a pretty simple recipe, but it's a good one to keep in mind, if you want to jazz up some broccoli sometime. It's probably not best to eat it every day though!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts this week
-
Ginger crunch (p63) - it's another Kiwi favourite, but as it happens, I'd never made it before. Any ginger crunch I've had in re...
-
It's hard to believe a whole three years have passed since I posted my first entry in this challenge, and even harder to believe I'v...
-
I'm not usually obliged to come into work on a Saturday, but post-quake, routine has temporarily gone out the window: stock was moving...
-
There's a recipe in the 'breakfasts' chapter for Creamoata (p155). I hadn't given much thought to this, but I had a vague id...
-
I've never had much luck with banana cakes. They always seem to come out overcooked on top and gooey in the centre. Yet I still make one...
-
I used to bake a lot as a kid. Since then, my parents' carefully-instilled lessons to do with checking you have all ingredients before ...
-
I've been keeping a spreadsheet with details of my progress through the Edmonds book. The point is to keep an eye on which areas I'm...
-
During the six-odd months I've been doing this challenge, there have been a few dishes that were absolute disasters. With most of these,...
-
You'll be wondering about the title of this entry. Well, it's the random letters I accidentally pressed when I was trying to brush f...
-
It's been a while since I ticked off a fruit cake recipe, so yesterday I decided it was time to have a go at making tennis cake (p59). I...

Must try it. Butter on veges was an everyday thing ofcourse before butter was outlawed. The addition of lemon sounds nice though.c
ReplyDelete